Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Allow crepe batter to set: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 2 servings
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. butter; melted
- 1 tsp. molasses
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. dried ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Additional butter for frying
- Apple Filling:
- 2 apples; peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. dark rum
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp. dark rum
- 1/2 tsp. superfine sugar
1. Using a blender, whisk together all ingredients except flour.
2. Add flour and incorporate completely.
3. Let batter sit for at least one hour.
4. Heat a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium - medium high heat. Add a teaspoon of butter and swirl to melt.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of batter to the pan and swirl until the bottom of the pan is covered with batter.
6. Cook the crepe for 1 minute, or until the crepe is slightly moist on top and golden brown underneath. Loosen the edges of the crepe, slide a thin spatula under it and gently flip it upside down into the pan. Cook for 1 minute and transfer the cooked crepe to a plate to kitchen towel to cool. (Note: Your first crepe will not turnout well - it never does.) Repeat with the remaining batter.
You can make the crepes 3 days in advance and keep them in a zippered bag, separated with waxed paper in the refrigerator or freeze them for up to 3 months.
7. Place a small mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer (for whipping cream).
8. Heat a large (12 to 14-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. (If you don't have a skillet this large, sauté the apples in two batches.)
9. Add 1 tablespoon butter and swirl to melt (or 1/2 tablespoon is cooking in batches).
10. Saute apples, sprinkled with cardamom, until lightly browned and reserve on a plate.
11. Add remaining butter to skillet, melt and add brown sugar. Cook about 1 minute. Add rum and lemon juice and cook 1 minute longer. Add apples and turn gently to coat. Remove from heat.
Topping and Serving:
12. Whip the cream to soft peaks in the chilled bowl. Add sugar and rum and whip to medium-stiff peaks.
13. Place a crepe on each of two plates. Arrange 1/4 of the apples down the center, roll up the crepe and arrange seam-side down. Spoon rest of apples and caramel over crepes and top with whipped cream.