Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 9-inch cake
- Unsalted butter for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3 lg. eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Amaretto (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and generously butter a 9-inch cake pan lined with a buttered parchment circle.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
3. Put the sugar and zest in a large bowl and rub the zest into the sugar using the palms of your hands until the sugar is moist and aromatic.
4. Add the yogurt, eggs, Amaretto and vanilla to the bowl of sugar and whisk until the mixture is smooth and liquid.
5. Stir in the dry ingredients, then switch to a large rubber spatula and fold in the oil. You’ll have a smooth batter with a slight sheen. Scrape the batter into the pan.
6. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the cake begins to come away from the sides of the pan, the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Cool the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove cake from pan, peel off parchment and cool to room temperature right-side up.
Note 2: I topped this cake with Strawberry Conserves.