Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 2.
- 1/2 sm. onion; chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 sm. green bell pepper; seeded and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- Olive oil for sautéing
- 1 cloves garlic; finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 15-oz. can diced tomatoes (freeze the remainder for a later dish)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- 12 pitted olives (I like Kalamata); split in half
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp. capers
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat then sauté onion and green pepper for about 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
2. Add ground beef, salt and pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and cloves. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned - about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in olives and raisins and simmer 5 minutes longer. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot over rice.