Yield: 2 servings
- 8 ounces skirt steak
- 4-6 small corn or flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 fluid ounces (1/4 cup) mild beer
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-2 ounces mild white cheese such as queso fresco or Monterey Jack
- Grilled or sauteed onions and peppers
- Corn and avocado salsa or other salsas
1. For the steak, mix marinade ingredients together. Pour marinade into a large sealable plastic bag and add steak. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Let marinate for 20 minutes to one hour.
2. Heat the oven to 200F. While the meat is marinating, heat a small non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Have a large piece of foil nearby. One at a time, heat the tortillas on both sides until they puff slightly. Remove from the skillet and place on the foil. When they're all heated, seal the foil over the tortillas and place in the oven to keep warm.
3. Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan (or outdoor charcoal or gas grill). Grill over medium high heat 2 to 4 minutes per side (depending on thickness). Remove to a plate or cutting board and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice thin against the grain.
4. To serve, place a few slices of skirt steak on each tortilla. Top with a little cheese and optional garnishes.