Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: Serves 2.
- 1/2 lb. ground chuck
- 1/4 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 sm. onion; finely chopped
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 sm. shallot; finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. red wine
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat and cook onion until translucent.
3. Lightly beat egg with wine and Worcestershire sauce.
4. Mix all meatball ingredients together then form mixture into 1-inch balls and arrange on a foil-covered baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15 minutes.
Sauce:< br/> 6. Melt butter in a 10" skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot and thyme and cook for two minutes.
7. Increase heat to medium high, add 1/4 cup wine and reduce by half. Add stock and reduce by half.
8. Stir in sour cream, 1 tablespoon red wine and season with salt and pepper.
9. Reduce heat to medium low, add meatballs, and warm thoroughly.
Serve meatballs over buttered egg noodles seasoned with minced fresh dill.
Note: I generally double the meatball recipe and freeze half after cooking in the oven. You can then thaw them overnight, heat them in the microwave (3 minutes at high, rotate 1/4 turn, 2 more minutes at high) make fresh sauce and noodles and an excellent main course with a side is ready in 20 minutes.