When I was a kid my parents frequently made sangria for lawn parties and they'd often let us kids have a taste. I've loved it ever since. Over the intervening years I've tried a lot of recipes, including my own experiments and finally settled on this recipe. You need a fairly robust wine to stand up against the fruit flavors and I've found that inexpensive red table wines work best. It has a nice fruit flavor and the ginger ale give it a little bite along with a little effervesence. (Larger image
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 bottle robust red wine
- Juice of 1 lg. lemon; reserve rind
- Juice of 1 lg. lime; reserve rind
- Juice of 2 oranges; reserve rind
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 can ginger ale
1. Mix fruit juices and wine and dissolve sugar in mixture.
2. Add rinds and refrigerate at least six hours. (May be made a day ahead.)
3. Add ginger ale, taste, and adjust sugar content.