I was slow to discover Nutella. I saw it on lots of breakfast tables on my trips to Europe, but I'm not particularly a chocolate fan and chocolate for breakfast didn't interest me – the cheeses, breads, and sausages did. But at that time I didn't know Nutella was mostly hazelnut butter with some chocolate so my first taste was a revelation. I now usually have a jar in my pantry where it serves as a near-instant dessert after a weeknight meal. I made this sandwich with brie, but you can also use sliced strawberries or bananas. The best bread to use is either challah or brioche. (Larger image.) Makes 2.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 2.
- 2 slices brioche or challah (but even good-quality ordinary white bread works)
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
- 2 Tbsp. Nutella
- Thin slices of brie (or bananas or strawberries)
1. Smear a slice of bread with Nutella.
2. Place a small skillet over medium-low heat and add 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Swirl to melt then add the slice of bread without Nutella. Place slices of cheese on bread and top with Nutella-spread bread.
3. Cook until bread is golden brown and crisp. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter and flip sandwich. Cook until golden brown and crisp. Cut in half. I like drizzling a bit of orange-flavored liqueur such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau on the sandwiches.