Apple crisps (and fruit crisps in general) are among my favorite desserts. Crisps are quick to prepare, can be made with apples, blueberries, peaches, or almost any other fruit that's handy, including frozen fruit.
The topping recipe below makes more than you need, but I like to keep a bag of the topping in the freezer, which makes creating this dessert even easier. Just prepare your fruit, pull out the bag of topping and sprinkle what you need on top, and put the rest back in the freezer. Serves 2.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (I particularly like Braeburns)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar*
- 1 Tbsp. all-pupose flour
- 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. butter, cut into 4 pieces
- *** Topping ***
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed firm
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. shortening, chilled, cut into small pieces
1. Heat oven to 400F.
2. Mix together dry toppin ingredients in the workbowl of a food processor.
3. Add butter and shortening and pulse about 10 times, then process 5 to 10 seconds until there are no visible lumps of fat.
4. In a small bowl mix together sugar, flour, and apple pie spice.
5. In a 1 quart casserole dish toss apples with lemon juice then with sugar and flour mixture. Dot fruit with butter.
6. Sprinkle about 1 cup of topping over fruit and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until juice begins bubbling through. Cool and serve.
Note: Taste the apples to determine how much sugar you want to add.