Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pint (12 oz.) blackberries
- 2 cups heavy cream; divided
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Heat 1 cup cream, half-and-half and sugar in a 1 qt. sauce pan over medium heat until almost simmering (175 degrees F) stirring frequently. At this point a few bubbles begin to appear and the mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon.
2. Puree the berries and strain through a fine-mesh sieve, stirring and pressing with a spoon to eliminate seeds.
3. Whisk egg yolks, salt and cardamom in a medium bowl.
4. When milk is hot, slowly pour half into egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Then whisk milk and egg mixture into remaining milk.
5. Heat over medium-low heat until almost simmering again (175 degrees F) and the mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon.
6. Pour custard (milk and egg mixture) through a sieve into a clean bowl with remaining heavy cream and cool to room temperature. Add berry puree and chill for four hours.
7. Churn according the ice cream-maker directions, then scoop into a plastic container and freeze for another 2 - 4 hours before serving.