Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups half-and-half; divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. instant coffee
- 4 egg yolks
1. Heat 2 cups half-and-half with sugar, salt, and instant coffee over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves, small bubbles begin to form and temperature is about 175 degrees.
2. Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl.
3. Slowly add half of hot cream mixture to egg yolks, whisking constantly and vigorously.
4. Whisk egg mixture back into cream. This is a custard.
5. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. You should be able to draw your finger through the custard and leave a trail.
6. Place a medium bowl in a larger bowl surround by ice. Pour custard through a sieve into the inner bowl and stir in remaining cream. Add cold water to larger bowl.
7. Allow to chill until ice melts. Cover medium bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
8. Add to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions.
9. Scoop ice cream into a plastic container and freeze for at least a couple of hours to harden.