Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated blood orange rind
1. Heat oven to 325F. Bring a pot of water to a vigorous simmer over medium-high heat.
2. Using a whisk in a medium bowl, thoroughly blend egg yolks, whole egg, orange juice, sugar, and cream and beat until the sugar dissolves.
3. Pass the mixture through a strainer to filter out any pulp; stir in the orange rind.
4. Place 4 ramekins in an 8x8 baking dish. Distribute the mixture evenly between the remekins. Pour enough boiling water in the pan to come halfway up the sides of the dishes and cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
5. Place on a middle rack in the oven and cook about 40 minutes; the custard should be just set around the edges.
6. Remove the ramekins from the pan and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
7. Chill the puddings in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and as long as 24 hours.