Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Chill: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb. rhubarb; cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin (1 envelope)
- 1 - 2 limes
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cup heavy cream, chilled
1. Peel lime, being careful not to include pith, cut into strips, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate.
2. Squeeze juice from lime(s). You need about 1 tablespoon.
3. Place rhubarb in a large sauce pan with water and 1/4 cup sugar over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until rhubarb breaks down.
4. Transfer to a food processor, add gelatin and lime juice, and process until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
5. In a double boiler, beat the egg yolks with sugar until they are a pale yellow then cook over just bubbling water, stirring constantly, until yolks have thickened. Cool to room temperature.
6. In a large bowl combine rhubarb mixture with egg mixture.
7. In a medium bowl, whip cream until stiff and fold into rhubarb mixture.
8. At this point you can spoon the mixture into individual ramekins or glasses if you wish.
9. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving. When ready to serve, garnish with strips of lime peel.