Yield: 2 servings
- 8-10 ounces medium peeled, deveined shrimp
- Kosher salt
- 2 limes
- 1/2 small onion, sliced thin
- 2-inch length English cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and cut into eighths
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro, plus additional whole sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 avocado, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup Clamato or other tomato-clam juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon (or more) Mexican hot sauce such as Valentina or Cholula
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2. Place the sliced onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Let soak for 20 minutes or so, then drain.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce: place the Clamato, ketchup and hot sauce in a small bowl and whisk until blended. Slowly pour in the oil, while continuing to whisk, until oil is incorporated. Mix in the cumin and a pinch of kosher salt. Taste for seasoning and adjust, adding more salt or hot sauce to taste.
3. Remove the shrimp from the refrigerator. Toss the cooled shrimp (including lime juice) with the vegetables and cilantro. Pour the sauce over, toss again, and taste for seasoning. You can do this ahead of time, but if so, don't add the avocado until right before serving.
5. Garnish with a cilantro sprig. Serve with quesadillas or tortilla chips, if desired.