Yield: 2 servings
- 4-8 ounces white button or cremini mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 2 teaspoons butter or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion (about 1/2 a small onion)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup coffee, freshly brewed
- 2 T flour
- 3/4 C Clamato (or tomato juice)
- 1-2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce such as Tabasco or Crystal
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined raw medium or large shrimp
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme*
2. Meanwhile, in a medium sized saute pan over medium heat, sauté the bacon until browned. Remove the bacon pieces and set aside. Pour off all but enough bacon fat to coat the bottom of the pan.
3. Add the onion to the pan and cook until lightly browned.
4. Add sherry and coffee and stir, scraping up the browned fond on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes (this may take a few minutes longer, depending on your pan size).
4. Dissolve the flour in the Clamato. Add 1 teaspoon of the pepper sauce and whisk into gravy.
5. Return the sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the raw flour taste is gone and sauce has thickened.
6. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until shrimp is cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. If you're using smaller shrimp, 3 minutes may be enough time.
7. Remove from heat and add the mushrooms and bacon. Add the thyme and stir in the additional pepper sauce, if desired.
* If you don't have any fresh thyme, add 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme with the Clamato-flour mixture instead.