Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 cups fruit (whole berries or larger fruit peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sugar (depending on fruit chosen and how sweet it is)
- 3 tablespoons wine or cognac
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- Generous pinch of salt
1. Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add shallots and cook until translucent - about 5 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients to pan.
3. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer until fruit is very tender (10 - 20 minutes) and.
4. If the using berries, strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove seeds. Otherwise puree mixture in a blender.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning and tartness.
Peach Gastrique: Use white wine vinegar, cognac, and add 3/4 teaspoon of ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom.
Strawberry Gastrique: Use balsamic vinegar, dry vermouth, and add 1/2 teasoon of almond extract.
Apple Gastrique: Use apple cider vinegar, apple brandy, and add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.