Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 2.
- 1 whole lamb shank
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 oz. pancetta; cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 md. onion; finely chopped
- 1 sm. carrot; finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic; chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup vermouth or white wine
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Tie rosemary, sage, and bay leaf in a square of cheesecloth.
2. Sauté pancetta in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat until browned. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
3. Increase heat to medium-high and brown lamb on all sides. Add to plate with pancetta.
4. Reduce heat to medium and sauté onions and carrots for five minutes until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook one minute longer.
5. Add vermouth (or white wine) and bring to a simmer, scraping up browned bits. Return lamb and pancetta to pan, add chicken stock, bouquet garni, and tomato paste to pan.
6. Reduce heat to low and partially cover pan. Barely simmer for two hours then discard bag of herbs and serve.