Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: Serves 2 with leftovers.
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1/2 slice bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 md. onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 c minced parsley
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sumac (look for this in the Kosher food section)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Pinch of mace
- 1 3-inch diameter potato
- 1 3-inch diameter tomato
1. Turn on broiler. Soak bread in milk until all milk is absorbed, then mash into paste
2. Process parsley in a food processor. Dump in a large bowl with ground lamb and set aside.
3. Process onion and garlic until very finely chopped. Add to bowl along with bread mixture. Add spices and mix gently until ingredients are well-combined.
4. Put mixture in a casserole dish and place under broiler until browned.
5. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 375F.
6. Add a layer of potatoes to meat and cover with a layer of tomatoes.
7. Cover casserole with aluminum foil and cook in middle of oven for 40 minutes.