Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb. lamb stew meat
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic; smashed
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger; peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp. Garam Masala (available in most spice sections)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1/2 sm. onion; peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Garam Masala
- 1 clove garlic; peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger; thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper; seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 15-oz can petit diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Thoroughly stir together marinade mixture.
2. Pour into a zippered bag, add chicken, and toss to coat lamb thoroughly. Refrigerate overnight.
3. Heat oven broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
4. Remove lamb from bag and pat between paper towels to remove some (but not all) of the marinade.
5. Broil lamb on second rack from top until it begins to brown - 5 to 7 minutes. Set lamb aside.
6. Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
7. Add onion, sprinkle with Garam Masala and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, ginger and jalapeno and cook one minute longer.
8. Add tomatoes and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begin dry. Stir in cream.
9. Add lamb to sauce. Simmer 10 minutes then serve over rice.
Note: Basmati rice is the best choice and I added 1/2 teaspoon of ground tumeric to the rice to make it yellow. When the rice was done I stirred in some frozen peas and recovered the rice pot for 5 minutes to allow the peas to cook.