Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 lb. ground lamb or beef
- 1 lg. slice bread; crust removed
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 sm. onion; chopped
- 2 garlic cloves; finely chopped
- 3 oz. feta; crumbled
- 1/4 cup pignoli; toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pepper to taste (the feta provides salt)
1. Heat oven to 350F.
2. Soak bread in milk until most of the milk is absorbed, then mash into paste.
3. Sautee onion on oil over medium heat until fragrant and translucent - about 3 minutes.
4. Add garlic to onion and cook one minute longer.
5. Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
6. Shape into a free-form loaf and position on an oiled broiler pan.
7. Bake until internal temperature is 155 degrees - about 40 minutes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.