Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 12 lg. button mushrooms; stems removed and reserved
- 1 oz. pancetta, finely diced
- 1 oz .dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 1 Tbsp. Amontillado sherry or other sherry
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 tsp. red onion; very finely chopped
- 1/2 oz shredded Parmigiano
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Finely chop mushroom stems - a food processor works fine for this.
3. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in small sauce pan. Add dried tomatoes, remove from heat, and rehydrate for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the tomatoes from the liquid and coarsely chop.
5. Cook pancetta in a small, non-stick skillet over medium heat until lightly browned. Drain on a paper towel and discard all but a tablespoon of fat from the skillet.
6. Finely chop pancetta.
7. Add chopped stems to skillet over medium heat along with a sprinkle of salt and black pepper and the thyme.
8. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are dry.
9. Add sherry and chopped tomatoes and continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated.
10. Mix pancetta, mushroom mixture, onion, and Parmigiano in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning.
11. Stuff into mushroom caps and bake until you can see liquid leaking out - about 15 minutes. Serve.
Note: you can make these up to the baking point a day in advance and keep them in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap, until ready to cook.