Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 lb. cooked salad shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 sm. (3" diameter) onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned crab (reserve juice)
- 2 cups coconut milk (see Note)
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 4 scallions (green onions), cut into short lengths
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
1. Cook four puff pastry shells according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium low heat, add onion and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent - about 4 minutes. Add flour and curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, for about three minutes. Add coconut milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. It should be a little thicker than commercial eggnog.
3. Add lemon juice, shrimp, crab, a tablespoon of the crab juice, about half the scallions and salt to taste. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings. Spoon into pastry shells and garnish with remaining scallions.
4. There's no need to use expensive lump crab, it's best if the crab is evenly distributed throughout more as a flavoring than an ingredient.
Note: Be sure to use coconut milk from the Asian section in your grocery, you don't want the sweetened stuff used for Pina Coladas. For a lower calorie, but less flavorful version you can substitute fat-free half-and-half.