Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 2.
- 8 ounces egg fettuccine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano plus more for garnish
Note: This is a supremely simple dish and every ingredient counts. Use the best fettucini you can find – or make your own (which makes the dish transcendental). Use heavy cream and real butter because anything else will be disappointing – if you want something low-fat, choose another dish. Genuine imported Parmigiano-Reggiano is required – splurge.
1. Cook fettuccine in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (see my article on reduced water pasta) reserving 1/3 cup cooking water, then drain pasta.
2. While pasta cooks, bring cream and butter to a simmer in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-low heat with salt and pepper. Add fettuccine and 3 tablespoons of reserved water, and cheese to sauce and toss. Add a touch more cooking water if sauce seems too thick to you.
3. Serve garnished with chopped parsley and additional cheese on the side.