Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 1.
- Raclette cheese (about 1/3 lb per person)
- Assorted pickles (Cornichons, which are tiny dill pickles, are addictive and traditional and I usually include sweet gherkins and pepperoncini)
- Assorted olives
- Sliced meats (salami, summer sausage, and cold roast beef, ham, and turkey)
- Firm-fleshed potatoes (12 oz per person - I recommend small red-skinned potatoes)
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Boil unpeeled potatoes in salted water until tender. In the meantime, make up a platter of pickles, olives, and meats.
2. Place potatoes in individual ramekins and, using a fork, break up potatoes into bite-sized chunks. Slice cheese and layer generously over potatoes.
3. Place ramekins in oven beneath broiler and cook until cheese melts and bubbles.
4. Generously grind black pepper over melted cheese (or allow each individual to do so) and serve.
Ideally this should be served with a crisp, fruity white wine. But a hard apple cider would also be good. Pick a cold snowy or rainy winter night, build a fire, and enjoy it as an impromptu picnic on the floor.