Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion; finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery; finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot; finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic; finely chopped
- 2/3 lb. minced or coarsely ground beef
- 1/3 lb. minced or coarsely ground pork
- 1 tsp. salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1/8 tsp.nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 15 oz. diced canned tomatoes; roughly chopped, with their juice
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. anchovy paste
- 1/2 lb. pasta such as parpardelle or farfalle
- 2 Tbsp. butter
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring often until translucent - about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook another minute.
4. Increase heat to medium high and add beef and pork, season with salt and pepper, and cook stirring as needed, until no pink remains.
5. Reduce heat to medium low and add milk. Simmer until little or no liquid remains.
6. Add nutmeg, oregano and white wine and simmer until little or no liquid remains.
7. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and anchovy paste, stir to mix thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and simmer for three hours. (Note: the sauce should just barely bubble.)
8. Stir occasionally and add water as needed to prevent mixture from drying out. However, at the end the ragu should not be runny.
9. Cook pasta, drain and toss with butter. Serve with freshly grated Parmigiano.