Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- Shrimp Sauce:
- 1/4 lb. shrimp - peeled
- 1 Tbsp. mild olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. Spanish paprika
- 1 clove garlic - smashed
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup shrimp stock (may substitute clam juice or lobster base)
- 1/2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter plus more to grease dishes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs; separated
- 2 oz chevre
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried ground mustard
1. Heat oven to 425F.
2. Use 1 teaspoon of butter to grease two 8-ounce ramekins and dust with parmesan.
3. Peel shrimp and toss with paprika and thyme.
4. Heat olive oil and garlic over low until garlic becomes fragrant. Remove garlic to a small food processor and return pan to heat.
5. Increase heat to med high and cook shrimp on each side until pink - about two minutes total. Remove shrimp to food processor and process with garlic until finely minced.
6. Add wine to pan and reduce by half, then add stock and reduce by half. Add half of minced shrimp, tomato paste, and heavy cream and remove from heat. Set aside until soufflé is nearly done.
7. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter over medium low heat, add flour, and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
8. In the meantime, heat milk in the microwave at medium power for 30 seconds.
9. Whisk in milk and continue to cook, stirring, until thickened.
10. Whisk together egg yolks and spices, then add to sauce mixture, whisking steadily to avoid scrambling the eggs.
11. Stir in the cheese, melt, and mix thoroughly.
12. Mix in reserved shrimp, remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
13. Beat egg whites to medium stiff peaks. If you're not using a copper egg bowl, add cream of tartar.
14. Thoroughly fold 1/3 of whites into sauce mixture.
15. Casually fold mixture back into remaining whites.
16. Pour into soufflé dishes, place in oven, reduce heat to 375F, and bake 30 to 35 minutes depending on how well done you like your soufflés. Don’t open the oven for the first 20 minutes!
Drizzle with sauce and garnish with chopped chives.