Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 - 2 lb. bone-in Boston Butt
- 2 cloves garlic — crushed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups apple cider
- 1 md. yellow onion — sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground mace
- Splash of soy sauce
- Splash of cider vinegar
1. Heat oven to 250F.
2. Trim fat from pork.
3. Rub crushed garlic all over the roast then season generously with salt and pepper.
4. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown pork until golden on all sides. Remove to a plate.
5. Reduce heat to medium, add onions, and lightly brown.
6. Return pork to pot and add 1 inch of apple cider (how much depends on the size of your pot). Add rosemary, ginger, mace, and soy sauce. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
7. Move pot to center of oven and cook, covered tightly, for 4 hours turning roast 1/4 turn each hour so that by turns each face is exposed to the cooking liquid and the air above it.
8. Put the pork on a plate and rest for 15 minutes. In the meantime, reduce the liquid by a third to a half, then puree for a sauce. Taste and adjust flavors.