Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 2 with leftovers.
- 1 1/2 lb. pork bone-in shoulder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion; peeled and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper; seeded and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno; seeded and finely chopped
- 3 lg. garlic cloves; chopped
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. chile powder
- 1 cup Mexican beer
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
1. Heat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Generously season pork with salt and pepper, then brown well on all sides. Set pork aside on a plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add onions and green peppers. Saute until softened - about 4 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno and cumin and cook one minute longer - stirring frequently.
4. Add beer and scrape up browned bits (deglaze). Reduce beer by 1/2.
5. Add all remaining ingredients and return roast to pot.
6. Bring to a boil then cover and transfer to the oven.
7. Cook 1 hour and turn roast over. Cook 1 hour longer, turn roast over again, taste sauce, and adjust seasonings.
8. Cook 1/2 hour longer then remove from oven.
9. Pull meat from bone with a pair of forks, discard bone and shred meat with the forks.
10. Serve over rice with sour cream and cilantro.