Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: Serves 2 with leftovers.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, sliced thin
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Spice Mixture
- 1 cinnamon stick, crumbled
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Diced banana, 1/2-inch dice
- Diced pineapple, 1/2-inch dice
- Sliced scallion, 1/4-inch rounds
- Coconut flakes
- Tart orange marmalade, chopped orange, or tangerine segments
- Bacon, chopped
- Nuts (peanuts and cashews are good)
- Mango chutney
1. Heat oil in a heavy sauce pan over medium high heat until it begins to smoke. With exhaust fan running, add spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly to prevent burning, for five minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium low, add onion, garlic, and jalapeno and continue cooking for two minutes. Add chicken, water, and vinegar, reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer for 90 minutes. Add coconut milk and heat thoroughly.
Serve over basmati rice with toppings of choice.
Notes : I prefer a hot Madras curry powder. The toppings can be anything desired, but fruit is particularly good.