Yield: 2 to 3 cups
- 1 English cucumber
- 1-2 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
1. If you have a mandoline or similar slicer, use it to cut the cucumber into very thin even slices. If not, cut the cucumber into halves lengthwise, then slice into thin half moons.
2. Place the cucumber and shallot in a bowl.
3. Mix together the rice vinegar, water, salt and sugar, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables and toss gently. Add the dill and toss again.
4. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to several days.