Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 2 - 3 sandwiches.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 3/4 lb. ground beef
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, celery and bell pepper and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes.
2. Increase heat to high, add ground beef (breaking it up with a spatula) and brown, stirring occasionally - about 10 minutes. Pour off excess fat.
3. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 - 20 minutes.
4. Spoon onto hamburger buns or kaiser rolls.