Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 slices sandwich rye*
- 1000 Island Dressing**
- Unsalted butter
- 2 - 3 oz. Emmental***; sliced
- 8 oz. corned beef; very thinly sliced
- 4 oz. deli sauerkraut
1. Butter one side of two slices of bread and place butter-side-down in a cold cast iron skillet (compare prices) or griddle.
2. Generously spread these slices with 1000 Island Dressing.
3. Divide cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut between slices of bread.
4. Butter one side of remaining slices of bread and place butter-side-up on sandwiches.
5. Turn heat on under skillet to medium low and cook until butter browns - 10 to 13 minutes. Flip sandwiches and cook other side until browned - 3 to 4 minutes.
- Use Gruyere, Raclette or Comte for the cheese.
- Instead of using corned beef, try pastrami.
- Replace the sauerkraut with dill pickles.
- Add a few slices of thinly-sliced apple.