Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- *** Salad ***
- 2 lg. beets
- 1/2 sm. red onion; thinly sliced into half rounds
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- *** Dressing ***
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 sm. garlic clove; finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- Salt and pepper
1. Trim greens from beets, but do not peel or cut into beet itself to prevent bleeding. Put whole beets in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer beets to an ice bath to stop cooking.
3. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, allspice, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 tablespoons mint.
4. Place onions in a bowl, coat with some of the vinaigrette, and allow to sit for 15 minutes to soften the onions' bite.
5. Cut beets into bite size pieces.
6. Arrange greens on a platter, add beets, sprinkle with feta and remaining mint, and dress with vinaigrette.