I know people who say "Ech!" when I mention chilled soups. The idea of eating cold soup simply offends their sense of "rightness" - soup should be hot and savory, something for a cold January day. But a chilled soup, enjoyed on the patio on a hot summer day while the grill is roasting a few steaks is almost the apotheosis of good times in the summer time.
Slightly spicy with a nice lilt of curry and a refreshing tartness from the buttermilk, yogurt, and lime, this soup is wonderfully cool and refreshing soup served with grilled fish.(Larger image.) Serves 2.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 10-inch cucumbers; peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 sm. shallot; finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint; finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1. Place cucumbers, scallions, mint, and lime juice in a food processor.
2. Pulse four or five times, scraping down sides once, then and process until finely chopped - about one minute longer.
3. Scrape down sides and add remaining ingredients and process another minute.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings.
5. Chill for at least 4 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings again before serving.