Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice; divided
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped parsley
- 2 firm ripe tomatoes; seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cucumber; peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped mint
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
1. Combine cold water, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and bulgur. Allow to set for 2 hours.
2. Drain bulgur in a sieve and squeeze out any excess liquid with your hands.
3. In a medium bowl, toss bulgur with all remaining ingredients.
4. Chill for at least two hours, taste and adjust seasonings.
This salad will keep (and keep getting better) for three days in the refrigerator.
Note: Tabouleh is eaten not only in Lebanon and Syria, but in Greece, Turkey, Israel, and Egypt - throughout the middle east in fact. And it has been my experience that there are at least as many versions of the salad (and any traditional recipe) as there are cooks. It it tastes good that's all that matters.