Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 md. Yukon Gold potatoes; cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 - 2 1/2 cups)
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 sm. onion; coarsely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium soup pot, cook bacon over medium-low heat until semi-crisp. Drain bacon, chop coarsely, and reserve for garnish.
2. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of grease. Add diced onion and cook until it begins to brown.
3. Increase heat to high, add a bit of chicken broth and scrape up the browned bits.
4. Add remaining chicken broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, add potatoes and salt and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove 1/2 cup of potatoes and mash thoroughly with a bit of the stock to loosen them up, then stir back in along with the heavy cream and mustard and return to a simmer.
6. Adjust seasonings and serve, garnished with chopped bacon.