Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb. asparagus, cleaned; trimmed
- 1/3 cup cold flat beer
- 1 egg white
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1. Heat 1 inch of oil (peanut oil is best, but canola or vegetable oil will work) in a skillet over medium high heat.
2. In the meantime, whisk together all ingredients except asparagus in am 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish until thoroughly mixed.
3. Dip asparagus spears individually in the batter and for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Dust generously with grated Parmesan cheese or dip in mayonnaise. This roasted garlic and paprika mayonnaise is particularly good.
Note: A pound and a half of asparagus may seem like a lot for two, but this asparagus is so good you'll want to gorge on it. Do it for lunch and have a cold beer with it. You won't need anything else.
Adapted from the Stockton Fried Asparagus recipe.