Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 lg. green tomato (no hint of blush, pure green and 4 - 5 inches in diameter)
- Enough vegetable/corn/canola oil to fill a cast iron skillet to 1/4 inch depth
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. hot paprika
- 1/2 c cultured buttermilk
1. Cut tomato into 1/2 inch slices discarding top and bottom slices.
2. Pour buttermilk into a pie pan and in a separate pie pan mix cornmeal with salt, pepper and paprika.
3. Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
4. Dip the tomato slices in buttermilk then dredge in cornmeal.
5. Cook in oil until browned - about 2 minutes - flip and cook other side until brown.
6. Drain cooked tomatoes on a paper-towel-lined plate for a couple of minutes, then serve.