Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb. rutabaga; peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. bourbon (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp. maple syrup*
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1. Place rutabaga in a large sauce pan and cover with water.
2. Place over high heat, bring to a boil over high heat and cook until fork tender (Note: It will not be as tender as potatoes.)
3. Drain rutabaga and return to pot.
4. Add 4 tablespoons bourbon, 1 1/2 tablespoons syrup, butter and spices and mash well.
5. Taste and add a bit more bourbon, maple syrup and salt if needed.
*Note: Be sure to use real maple syrup, the fake stuff simply isn't the same. And to really kick it over the top try Grade B syrup.