Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 bunch rainbow or green chard
- 3 strips smoked bacon
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- Tiny pinch of nutmeg
- 1 shallot - peeled and sliced
1. Whisk together vinegar, honey, and nutmeg.
2. Cut leaves from chard stems and then cut leaves crosswise into 1/2-inch strips.
3. Trim off bottom 1/2-inch of stem from chard and discard. Cut remaining stem into 3/4-inch pieces.
4. Cook bacon in a skillet until fairly crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels and chop coarsely.
5. Saute chard stems and shallot in bacon grease for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add chard leaves, vinegar mixture and bacon and toss. Cover and turn heat to low for five minutes. Toss again and serve.